- Mixed reality in first aid scenarios: The goal of this project is to implement a virtual reality system for first-aid handling. Specifically, we aim at increasing the visual realism of medical mannequins and the contextualization. Also, we add the touch feedback to the virtual reality by mapping the real mannequin into its virtual representation. Moreover, we take advantage of hand tracking to make the task execution more realistic.
- eBSim, a low-cost birth simulator for gynecological training: eBSim is a birth simulator which combines a physical model of the fetus and birth canal with a corresponding virtual reality representation. The physical model is equipped with sensors that measure in real time the position and orientation of the fetus showing its position in real time in the virtual scene. This system is intended for the training and evaluation of gynecology residents and midwife students.
- Combination of virtual reality and rapid prototyping for bronchoscopy training: Starting from a CT image, we created a 3D model of the trachea-bronchial tree. Such model was 3D printed in order to combine a physical model with a virtual one. The goal of the project is to link virtual and real model so that the trachea-bronchial tree can be physically and virtually navigated at the same time. This system is a low-cost patient specific bronchoscopy simulator allowing student to learn the maneuver and doctors to practice before executing the examination, in case of pathologies.
- Development and validation of new advanced simualtion technologies for the training and assessment of operative interventions in medicine: Starting from october 1, Dr. Serena Ricci has started her research activity with a two years fellowship (funding PO_FSE 2014/2020). The research activity will be focused on creating technological solutions for medical simulation particularly focused on the regional needs.
Thesis in progress:
- An open-source, wheelchair accessible and immersive driving simulator for training people with Spinal Cord Injury
- Design and Deveoplment of a mixed-reality system for neonatal life support training
- Haptic rendering for biological tissue recognition
- Giuliano Vacca got his masters' degree in Bioengineering in March 2020 presenting a work titled: "Design and Implementation of a magnetic based motion-tracking system for the birth simulator eBSim". Advisors: Prof. Maura Casadio, Ing. Marco Chirico, Dott. Serena Ricci; Co-advisors: Dott. Simone Marcutti, Prof. Gianni Vercelli
- Elisa Girau and Fabrizio Mura graduated in Bioengineering in December 2018 working on a project entitled: "Design, Deveoplment and validation of a mixed-reality application for first aid simulation". Advisors: Prof. Manuela Chessa, Prof. Fabio Solari, Prof. Maura Casadio; Co-advisors: Dott. Ing. Marco Chirico e Dott. Simone Bazurro (SimAv)
- Francesca Vigo received her masters' degree in Bioengineering in December 2018 defending the thesis: "Design development and validation of a virtual bronchoscopy integrated system for the training of thoracic surgeons". Advisors: Prof. Ing. Maura Casadio, Prof. Fabio Solari, Prof. Manuela Chessa, Co-advisors: Dott. Ing. Marco Chirico e Dott. Simone Bazurro (SimAv)
Speeches for secondary school students during orientation activities (PCTO) at SimAv
- Lectures on medical simulation for Bioengineering students (11.10.2019)
- The joint lab presented its activity during the SIMMED session at the Forum Risk Management in Healthcare 2019 (26.11.19)
- Hands-on activities for bioengineering students (november 2019).
- Best paper award at IWISH 2019 (1.10.2019)
- International Workshop on Innovative Simulation for Healthcare: the lab presents two works (20.9.2019)
- Engineering in Medicine and Biology (EMBC): the lab presents two works on innovative simulators (1.8.2019)
- Researchers from the Università Politecnica delle Marche visited the lab (16.5.2019)
Back to Lab home